Today is our 1st birthday!
It has been an amazing first year for us here at ShoreBeing. Our website was launched on 1st May 2015 as a recipe blog and has continued to grow as we have added services such as an online weight loss course, health coaching and retreats. We’ve even been featured in ETC, Sussex Weddings and Om Yoga magazine!
The next year looks to be just as exciting so please keep checking for exciting news and some great competitions.
This birthday cake recipe came about when we found out one of our guests would be celebrating their birthday on retreat. Helen had already been experimenting with alternatives to ‘normal’ birthday cakes so we developed the recipe further to make it that little bit more indulgent with a touch of the wow factor!
We don’t usually use white flour however this recipe lends itself to birthday cakes and for times when you’re catering for a range of people with different tastes. With only three tablespoons of raw honey, it provides a perfect low sugar cake option.
Berries & Cream Birthday Cake
150g gluten free self raising flour
3 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp baking powder
600ml double cream
200g frozen raspberries, thawed
Sprinkling pomegranates (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170/gas mark 3. Grease two 18cm cake tins
- Melt butter and honey in a small pan over a low heat
- Sieve flour into a large bowl then stir in the melted butter and honey
- Beat the eggs and stir in
- When fully combined, divide the mixture into the prepared cake tins
- Bake on the middle shelf for 30-35 minutes
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool
- Muddle the thawed raspberries and whip the double cream until thickened
- Spoon half the cream onto the first layer and spread over the raspberry puree. Hull and halve four strawberries and organise in an inner ring shape, these will stop the second layer from squashing the cream out!
- Add the top layer, smooth on the remaining cream and scatter the fruit in a ring on the outside of the cake
Have fun eating this one!
Hannah & Helen x