I love this time of year, there are so many fruits and vegetables coming into season and I’m really excited about experimenting with more warming dishes.
Today’s dessert combines two of my favourite autumnal fruits – blackberries and rhubarb. I love blackberry picking and this year I had Sonny on board so we now have a freezer full of them! I’m also very lucky to have a lovely, generous friend with rhubarb in their garden which means half of this dish didn’t cost a thing!
This crumble is perfect dessert for these cooler days, it’s processed sugar free and is loaded with nutrients making it a tasty treat for the whole family.
Blackberry & Rhubarb Crumble
200g rhubarb, cut into chunks
4 tbsp raw honey (or sweetener of choice)
50g ground almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180/gas mark 4. Toss the fruit in 2 tbsp honey and layer in a baking dish
- Put the oats in a food processor and blitz for 30 seconds, add the whole almonds and blitz again until broken down to large chunks
- Add the ground almonds, cinnamon and remaining honey to the oat mixture and combine well. Sprinkle over the fruit
- Place the dish on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes. Check halfway through and adjust heat if the crumble is browning quickly
- Serve with a dollop of natural or soya yogurt
This recipe can be made nut free by replacing the omitting the whole almonds and replacing the ground almonds with an additional 50g oats.
I hope you enjoy this dessert!