I know exactly what you’re thinking…a stew? in summer? While this stew isn’t exactly a tagine, it does have the taste of Morocco from the cumin, coriander and cinnamon and I’d 100% eat a tagine if I was in Morocco right now!
The sweetness makes this stew a favourite with children and it works as a great introduction to spices. I’m a huge fan of eating leftovers for lunch and this works well hot or cold making it ideal for packed lunches or picnics.
Butternut & Chick Pea Stew
1 butternut squash, cubed
1 tin chick peas
1 onion, sliced
1 thumb of ginger, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 red onion, sliced
Zest of a lemon
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over a medium heat, add the sliced white onion, garlic and ginger and sauté for 7 minutes
- Add the spices and gently cook for another couple of minutes
- Turn the heat to high, add the apple cider vinegar and cook until almost evaporated
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock and butternut squash bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer for 30 minutes
- Add the chick peas and cook for a further 10 minutes
- Serves with a sprinkling of feta, red onion and lemon zest
This recipe really is tasty so I hope you enjoy it!