A friend made a version of this delicious lunch for me and it was so tasty I had to adapt it for Cook Club! It’s a really satisfying, leisurely weekend lunch and as all great food should, it reminds me of time spent with good friends.
This lunch has a couple of humble nutritional powerhouses. Rocket is a anti-carcinogenic, rich in folic acid and an excellent source of Vitamin A, B-complex vitamins & Vitamin K. Topping your lunch with pomegranates is a good way of adding a powerful anti-oxidant hit to your lunch, protecting your heart and helping lower blood pressure and cholesterol along with also being an anti-carcinogenic.
Lamb Kofte with Griddled Halloumi
Serves 4 as a light lunch
250g lamb mince
1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cumin
zest and juice of a lemon
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
150g halloumi, sliced
2 tbsp honey
2-3 large handfuls of rocket
Seeds of 1 pomegranate
- In a small saucepan, gently heat 1/2 tbsp of your chosen oil, add the spices and garlic and gently poach them in the oil for 3 minutes just to take the raw edge off them – don’t allow the garlic to colour. Leave to cool
- Put the lamb mince into a bowl and mix in the parsley, mint, lemon zest and juice and the cooled spice and garlic mixture. Mix together until combined. Roll into oval kofte shapes – about the length of a small plum, it usually makes about 10 – 12 koftes. These can now be kept in the fridge until you are ready to cook them.
- In a large saucepan heat the other 1/2 tbsp of your chosen oil over a medium heat. Add the lamb koftes and brown on each side before covering and turning down the heat slightly. Cook for approx 15-20 mins until cooked through.
- Whilst your lamb is cooking, divide the hummus onto 4 plates and place a handful of rocket on top.
- Approximately 5 minutes before your lamb is ready, heat a griddle or a frying pan to a medium heat. Once hot, place your halloumi slices on and colour on both sides – this usually only takes a couple of minutes.
- Remove your lamb koftes from the heat and place 2-3 koftes per plate on top of the rocket
- Carefully top the koftes with your griddled halloumi
- Scatter over the pomegranate seeds and drizzle 1/2 tbsp honey over each plate
- Serve immediately and enjoy!