Lemon & Garlic Mackerel
2 mackerel fillets
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
zest and juice of a lemon
2 tbsp coconut or olive oil
1 red pepper, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
large handful kale, sliced
- Mix the lemon zest and chopped garlic clove with 1 tablespoon of your chosen oil and brush it over the top of each mackerel fillet making sure to use up all the mixture.
- Heat a large saucepan or frying pan with 1 tablespoon of your chosen oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and red pepper to the pan and cook until starting to soften – about 6-8 minutes.
- Add your kale and saute for a further 3-4 minutes with the pan covered until softened, then turn up the heat and add the lemon juice. It should sizzle and evaporate into the veg for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat back down to a medium heat and move all your vegetables to one side of the pan making space for your mackerel fillets. (If your pan isn’t large enough for this turn your vegetables down to sit on a low heat and use an alternative pan).
- Place your mackerel fillets into the pan skin side down for approx 4 minutes then flip over onto the fleshy side and cook for a further 4 minutes until just cooked through and golden on top.
- Season well and serve immediately!
This recipe is suitable for use on Detox Week on the ShoreBeing Weight Loss Program.