Last month I asked Sonny to look at his calendar and count how many Mondays there are in October, he told me four and based on this information I planned four recipes for October’s cook club. Then I learnt a little lesson in not taking things that Sonny says as a given.
This week’s recipe is the result of having a vegan friend over for coffee yesterday. A last minute recipe doesn’t mean it’s sub-standard, this dessert is really tasty and really easy and it’s chocolate…I don’t think I need to say anymore!
Nutty Chocolate Torte
2 tbsp coconut oil
5 tbsp coconut oil
5 tbsp coconut milk
2 tbsp smooth nut butter (optional)
5 tbsp cacao powder
4 tbsp rice syrup (or 2 tbsp of raw honey if not vegan)
- Line a 7 inch cake dish with cling film
- Put the dates in a food processor and blitz until small chunks
- Add the oats and hazelnuts and blitz again until a coarse crumb
- Add the coconut oil and process until fully combined
- Spoon the mixture into the base of the cake tin and evenly pat down using a rolling pin, set aside
- Put the coconut oil, coconut milk and nut butter in a saucepan over the lowest heat possible until the oil and milk have melted
- Pour into a food processor with the cacao powder and sweetener and blitz until smooth and creamy
- Spoon the mixture over the oaty base and then gently shake the tin to even out the chocolate
- Place in the fridge for at least an hour, take out 10 minutes before serving
I added some crushed hazelnuts to the top, raspberries work great, too.
This dessert can be stored in the freezer, just place in the fridge an hour before serving so it has chance to defrost.