We’re always looking for healthier alternatives for popular family meals and although I’m actually not a massive fan of pizza, the kids love it so I thought it was high time I should have a go at alternative versions.
This is my first perhaps more unusual offering using chickpea flour, I usually make our very tasty Chickpea Crackers with it but I wanted to see if it would work well as a dough, Although this pizza is crispy bottomed it retains a softer texture than a normal pizza. I really like the end result along with my 5 year old who told me it was the best thing he’d ever eaten however my 2 year old refused to eat it. You’ll have to make up your own mind and let me know!
200g chickpea flour (also known as gram flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
large handful of rocket
1 red onion, finely sliced
large handful of your favourite olives
2 tomatoes, sliced
fresh basil, torn
Other topping ideas
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, 2 tbsp oil and salt then add 300ml of water. Whisk thoroughly to get rid of any lumps (although if some small lumps remain don’t worry).
- Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 9/220 degrees.
- Take your largest non stick frying pan or casserole dish (mine is approx 30cm in diameter) and heat the other 2 tbsp oil on your stove tops highest heat setting/ring. When the oil is hot add the pizza batter, it should sizzle on impact. Tilt the pan like when cooking pancakes to evenly spread the mixture about, it should be approx 5mm thick. Sprinkle over the chopped rosemary and garlic, it will sink into the batter, season well with black pepper at this point.
- Once the edges have started to turn golden turn down to a medium heat and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the pizza pie is softly golden. Remove carefully from the pan, it should be crispy on the bottom, the batter cooked through but will still be soft on top to touch.
- Spinkle over your chosen toppings – mine was rocket, red onion, olives, tomato and basil – then serve immediately whilst warm.