I was recently asked by a friend to come up with some healthy, nourishing lunches that she could grab from a supermarket in her lunch hour and make up quickly at work. This is a common request so I’ve set myself the challenge to create a collection of speedy supermarket lunch recipes, the rules I’ve set myself are as follows:
- Affordable ingredients; the equivalent to buying a sandwich, crisps, drink and something sweet. This adds up to approximately £5 so this is the price point I’m aiming for.
- Ingredients that can be found in any of the major supermarkets.
- Ingredients that can be prepared with the standard equipment available at an average work place e.g. microwave, plates and cutlery.
- Ingredients in keeping with ShoreBeing’s ethos of processed sugar free whole foods.
My first offering is a delicious and super simple quinoa & pomegranate salad. All the supermarkets have started to supply ready made grains in microwavable bags, aim to find one with wholegrain, recognisable ingredients with no extra nasties. The one I chose was simply pre-cooked quinoa with seasoning.
I’d love to hear if you give this a go at work so please get in touch!
Quinoa & Pomegranate Salad
250g pre cooked Quinoa
100g ready to eat Pomegrante Seeds
1 Orange, peeled and broken into segments
1/2 small packet of coriander, torn or chopped with a knife or scissors (optional)
Cost: £5.60 (with the coriander) Slightly over budget if you include the coriander however most small bags of spinach come in 100g so you do have a little leftover for tomorrow’s lunch!
- Heat your quinoa according to the packet instructions, most are approximately 2 minutes in the microwave.
- Whilst its cooking, peel your orange and tear your coriander (if using).
- Once cooked, decant quinoa into a bowl and stir in the pomegranates, spinach, orange segments and coriander. Season if you have that luxury!
Eat and enjoy the nourishing lunch that took you 2 minutes to prepare!