On the whole I plan all our meals however, remembering to plan lunch in for myself is sometimes lost in the hectic chaos that is family life. This basic noodle recipe was born from only having these ingredients in the fridge and the need to produce a deliciously nourishing lunch. Use this recipe as a base to add your favourites, I particularly like throwing in some prawns and spring onions, so get creative and let me know how you get on!
1 courgette, peeled into noodles using a julienne peeler. (I tend to only peel to the seeded core as it goes soggy, I freeze the core to put in soups)
6 nuggets of frozen spinach
5 tbsp full fat greek or natural yoghurt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp fresh herbs, I use basil or parsley (or 1 tsp dried if you haven’t any fresh)
1tsp chili flakes (optional)
- On a medium heat, add 1 tsp olive oil in a large saucepan of frying pan and add the spinach. It will start to break down so stir occasionally so it can cook through.
- While the spinach is cooking make your sauce, whisk the yoghurt, lemon juice and chosen herbs in a bowl and season to taste.
- Once the spinach has broken down and heated thoroughly, add to the yoghurt and give it a vigorous stir. The spinach will break down further giving you a delicious noodle sauce. Taste again to check for seasoning.
- Place the noodles in the spinach pan, they only need about 20 – 30 seconds in the pan to warm through as you want to keep them crunchy.
- Add to the sauce and stir to coat, serve with a sprinkling of chilli flakes.