Sugar free granola is a staple in our house as it’s a great way to start the day. I also recommend this healthy breakfast option to my health coach clients as a way of moving away from cereals and toast, foods that are often high in sugar and low in goodness.
Nuts and seeds are nutrient dense, this recipe will nourish your body with –
Healthy fats – will keep you fuller for longer, making you less likely to snack
Protein – essential for growth and development
Iron – increases resistance to infection and helps healing
Zinc – to strengthen the immune system
Magnesium – helps to release energy as well as regulating temperature, nerves and muscle function
One of the great things about this breakfast is that it can be made in advance, it’ll only take a minute to put in a bowl and serve with a dollop of yogurt making it ideal for those with a busy lifestyles!
Sugar Free Granola
1.5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 cup almonds
1 cup cashews
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup oats (omit if you prefer a carb free option)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp ground ginger (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160/gas mark 4
- Put all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix
- Add the melted coconut oil and mix thoroughly to combine
- Pour the mixture into a large baking tray and place on the middle shelf of the oven for 10-15 minutes, checking every 5 minutes to mix the granola
- Put aside to cool. Once cooled serve with natural yogurt or soya for a vegan option, I usually have three heaped dessert spoons of granola with two heaped spoons of yogurt.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!